Welcome to the CFAO
The Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontics (CFAO) was established in 1981 to promote the advancement of the science and art of orthodontics.
Over the years, through generous donations from the CAO members, speakers and professional colleagues, the CFAO has funded
- The Annual Graduate Student Poster Program at the CAO Scientific Session
- The prestigious McIntyre Lecture at each CAO Scientific Session
- The “Latest Advances in Canadian Orthodontic Research”, an annual symposium program since 2014, at the CAO Scientific Session, where post graduate students from each Canadian Orthodontic Institute present a short summary abstract on their current research project
- CAO Educational Webinar Series
- Contributed $182,000 over the past seven years to Canadian Postgraduate orthodontic programs for students to present their research internationally, to help purchase equipment for use in research projects for young people at school, funds to help students with statistical analysis and computer time for research projects and lab time
- The Smiles4Canada program, launched in 2016, is a public health goodwill program of the CFAO. The goal of the pilot program in the Atlantic Provinces, is to put a smile, both figuratively and literally, on a young person with a significant orthodontic need and whose family does not have the financial resources to pay for the procedure.
There are many ways to contribute to the CFAO
- For CAO members, by adding a CFAO donation at the time of CAO membership renewal
- By providing a donation as a unique thank you in the name of a member Orthodontist
- By becoming a McIntyre Fellow – for a one-time payment of $500, join the list of McIntyre Fellows, and be recognized in Bulletins, on the website, and each year at the Annual Scientific Session
The CFAO believes that the students of today are the orthodontists of the future and invites your help to support orthodontic student research and the Canadian universities graduate orthodontic programs.
Dr. Stephen Roth
Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Orthodontics
The CFAO fund continues to grow and contributions can be made in many ways:
(a) McIntyre Fellowship Program
CAO members who make a one time, tax deductible contribution of $500.00 to the CFAO, are made McIntyre Fellows. This fund honours the memory of Dr. Reyburn R. McIntyre, founding president of the Canadian Association of Orthodontists.
(b) Annual Membership Renewal
The CAO makes it very easy for members when paying their annual Association membership dues to contribute an additional $75.00 which goes to the Foundation. Charitable receipts are sent for the Foundation portion.
(c) In Memorium and other donations
The CAO and any member may donate to the CFAO at any time. The CAO makes a donation to the CFAO in memory of members who have passed away. Contribution Forms are available from the CAO Office.
(d) Corporate Donations
Corporations are approached regularly and may donate any amount of money to the CFAO.